Tuesday 18 June 2013

Tri Polish Challenge June 2013: Manicure 1

Greetings All!

The Tri Polish Challenge has rolled around yet again! If you don't know the rules yet, shame on you! Ha ha, no, they are simple, but wordy. So here is me trying to be concise!


  • 3 colours
  • 1 polish for each colour
  • 4 manicures with said polishes
  • At least 1 manicure using all three
  • At least 2 of the polishes for all manicures
  • Black, white, gold, silver and glitter also allowed

Personally I set myself another little challenge within the challenge - to use all three polishes in all four manicures, and nothing else. Sometimes this isn't possible, but it's fun to try! Last month I managed it.

This month the colours are red, pink and purple. These are the polishes I will be using this month

Barry M Gelly Nail Paints in Passion Fruit, Dragon Fruit and Plum
There is something really satisfying about having all three polishes from the same brand! They're all matching and pretty - lovely!

Here's what I did with them for today.







OK I should start by saying that although this isn't a fail per se, it doesn't really look like it did in my head, and that's always my number one goal, so I do kind of consider it a fail in that respect. As a manicure, it's fine, but as a translation of the idea in my head, it kind of sucks!

This was going to be a really cool gradient (I can't have three polishes and not gradient them lol), with sort of pink tentacles running down. I didn't keep enough pink at the top, so it doesn't look like I hoped it would. I like it OK, but it's not what I wanted! 

I used PVA glue round my cuticles and fngers to avoid the inevitable sponged mess a gradient creates - it worked brilliantly, but unfortunately I got a bit on my index finger without noticing, and I started to peel the polish off my nail! I'll need to be more careful next time, but I loved the amount of cleanup it reduced! I didn't really like the whole PVA base coat thing, so it's great I found a use for it.

There will be three more manicures this month featuring these three polishes.


21 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a fail at all! It looks really great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm never 100% happy unless it looks like it did in my head lol (in my head, it looked sooo much better!)

      Delete
    2. haha, I know *exactly* what you mean ;)

      Delete
  2. Oooo I love the colour combo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      There will be three more using these colours!

      Delete
  3. The idea in your head must've been ridiculous cos this is amazing! Did you paint the pink on after or sponge over striping tape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I sponged over striping tape. No way I could paint lines like that lol

      Delete
  4. Ingenius way to use PVA! Thanks for the tip :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant - usually I spend *ages* cleaning up a gradient (especially as I always seem to choose really stainy colours, like red and purple!), but with the glue I only had to cleanup my nails and not my skin!

      I can't remember who I got the idea from - I think The Nailasaurus maybe? Whoever you are, you rock lol

      Delete
  5. No, no, no! Not a fail at all! And even though you didn't get your tentacle mani, it's still a very cool laser beam one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Admittedly, very few of my manicures look like they do in my head. But when they do, that's the ultimate victory!

      Delete
  6. This is so NOT a fail!! Very pretty!! I am so borrowing your idea and using glue around my nails when I do a gradient. Its also a whole lot cheaper than that purple palasade stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It saved *so* much time, even factoring in waiting for the stuff to dry! Just don't paint it on your nails like I did lol

      Delete
  7. Well I don't know what was in your head when you started, but what ended up on your nails looks just fab :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'll have to try it again, see if I can get it a bit closer to what was in my head.

      Delete
  8. Loved the ombre effect..it is giving 'hotness' to the mani... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I love gradients! Especially with stamping...*drools*

      Delete
  9. This is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! perfect gradient, and the pink you chose is sooooo lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!

    Barry M really know what they're doing lol

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you awesome people leave comments! I read and treasure them all, and I'll always respond to a question as soon as I can.

Appropriate blog links are tolerated, but please be reasonable.