Wednesday 12 June 2013

China Glaze Summer 2013 Neon Jellies - Over White

Greetings All!

I'm posting a little later than usual today, because I haven't been well and I slept a good chunk of the afternoon! I did get some pretty good nail mail though, which cheered me up a bit.

Yesterday I showed you swatches of the new China Glaze Neon Jellies (HERE), and although they're a mixed bag to say the least, I've been persevering with them, in the name of polish! Today I'm showing you what they look like over a white base, which I know destroys the point of them being jellies, but they are also neons, and I was curious!

For the sake of not repeating myself, I'm going to assume that you read yesterday's post. Plus I'm still feeling pretty sick, which is always a good excuse for anything!

All of these swatches are over 2 coats of Sally Hansen Ivory Skull, which is now my 'go to' white (OPI Alpine Snow is nearly empty, so getting it out of the bottle is annoying lol), and are pictured without topcoat. My camera has no idea what neon is, so although these are fairly colour accurate (for the most part!), they are neon in real life, much brighter than these pictures!



This is 4 coats of Are You Jelly?. I found that most of these needed one more coat than when worn plain, because the white base highlighted all the streaks and patches.




Again it has a hint more pink in real life, and was very streaky, but it does (finally) build to a nice neon purple.

Heat Index, again, 4 coats.





This is probably one of the best performers of the collection, both plain and over white. It's a pretty, squidgy pink neon, calmer than You Drive Me Coconuts and super summery. Very bright too, without being too garish. The white really makes it pop!

Isle See You Later, 4 coats, which is one less than yesterday, weirdly.





A super bright sky blue, I much prefer this over white to the sheer mess it is plain. Again it isn't too neon and garish, just really bright and summery, like a really enticing swimming pool.

Keepin' It Teal, 4 coats.





Before this I didn't know you could get neon mint! A pleasant change from the classic neon green, this is probably my favourite of the collection. It's the one I can imagine myself using most, both plain and over white. It's safe to say I don't have anything else like this in my collection!

Shell-O, 4 coats. This one was still the worst to photograph.





Lol, I still have that unexplained halo of pink near the cuticles. Again, this is different from the classic neon orange - it has a touch of pink to it, and it doesn't scream as loudly. Another summery shade (what did I expect from a summer collection lol).

You Drive Me Coconuts, 3 coats. To be honest, I didn't really need to add a white base to this. It's opaque in 2-3 coats, and the white made no visible difference to the colour.





If you want an opaque, neon barbie pink, I would recommend this one. Yes, it's very streaky, but it does even out after the third coat, and you really don't need any undies with it.

So there you go! I can confirm that these can be used pretty well as neons, they do take a few coats, but I've found that with a lot of other neons too, as they are usually very sheer. Some of these are slightly more unusual shades, which is nice. Weirdly they seem to work better as neons than as jellies.Maybe I'll finally dig out my OPI Black Spotted and have a go with them, as I think it looks pretty killer over neon!

Stay tuned tomorrow, for the nail art section! (I wonder what that's going to be lol)


Loading InLinkz ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you awesome people leave comments! I read and treasure them all, and I'll always respond to a question as soon as I can.

Appropriate blog links are tolerated, but please be reasonable.