Friday 22 February 2013

Flip Flop February Challenge Day 22: Plaid or Mustache

Greetings All!

Hope you're all looking forward to the weekend! This week has gone really quickly.

Today's choice is between plaid and mustaches. There was no way I was going to put a mustache anywhere near my nails! Too much of a hipster connotation (well, it was. Now you get them on everything, clothes, jewellery, because...?) so it had to be plaid, which I call tartan. I wasn't really looking forward to this one! I don't have a tartan stamp, so there was no cheat. I had to freehand it, with my non-dominant hand, and I was not looking forward to that at all! Still, I planned it out.

First step - tartan.Second step- red tartan ( I always think of red tartan, like on a box of shortbread lol). Then I thought, what about doing it in metallics? That might jazz it up a bit! So I started with 2 coats of OPI Die Another Day, a yummy metallic cherry red. So far, so good. Then I picked up my striping brush. This is the third time I've used it and I am just beginning to get the hang of it. I picked out Barry M Foil Effects in Silver and Gold for the stripes (?) and trusty old W7 Black. OK, I guess I should show you now.






Behold my wonky tartan! This is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, yes, the lines are all wonky. But on the other hand, they are straight lines, just at an angle, and I wasn't even sure I could do straight lines! I did the black last, and by that time I was much more confident, so the lines are nice and straight! I do kind of like it. It was my first go, with my 'wrong' hand (which is my right hand lol. That explains a lot, when right is wrong!) and I think it's kinda cute! I can see me recreating this one day (with a LOT more practice lol). Oh, and I matted it, which did defeat the purpose of it being metallic a little bit. Now it's more...satin-y!

Remember to check out everyone else's nails!

3 comments:

  1. A Tip for the striping brush, at least in my experience, don't try to do one long straight line all in one swipe of the brush, I get my line starts, and then use short little 'dash' type lines connecting to the first, it helps my lines come out MUCH straighter and cleaner. And as for using it with your non-dominant hand, LOTS of practice with it will help that :)

    These look awesome still though, especially for a first try at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have tried with short dashes but it came out quite ragged where I couldn't match them up perfectly. I hope I just need more practice lol but knowing I can get thinner lines, I definitely will practice more!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! And you'll just have to play around and see what worked best for you in using it to get the best lines :) It's taken me a while to get the hang of stripers as well.

      Delete

I love it when you awesome people leave comments! I read and treasure them all, and I'll always respond to a question as soon as I can.

Appropriate blog links are tolerated, but please be reasonable.